Aika ja paikka
Contact hours 14 h, Zoom or campus
FT/PhD Iira Rautiainen
Upon completion of the course, the students will
• be able to demonstrate an understanding of the concept and phenomenon of English as a lingua franca
• be able to demonstrate familiarity with research developments in the field of English as a lingua franca
• have gained experience of working with authentic linguistic data and applying different research methods in the analysis of data
• be able to explain the implications of the phenomenon of English as a lingua franca for the future of English and its practical consequences
• be able to reflect how they can use gained knowledge in their future studies and work
The global spread of English, forms and functions of English as a lingua franca, language users and contexts of use from linguistic, pragmatic and sociolinguistic perspectives. Analysis of data from various contexts. Discussion of English as a lingua franca in relation to multilingualism, language policy and foreign language teaching.
Variable online learning activities, independent work, reading and writing assignments.
Suoritustavat ja arviointikriteerit
Attendance in the lectures is required. Assessment is based on project work and other assignments.
The course utilises a numerical grading scale (0–5), in which zero stands for fail.