Aika ja paikka
Time and place
See schedule (updated 17.8.21)
FM Tiina Eilittä
Upon completion of the course, the students will
- display an understanding of the principles of the English sound system and intonation patterns
- implement and develop their skills in the conventions of spoken English in relation to various contexts (e.g. oral presentations, talks, interviews)
- be able to give, receive and engage with peer-based feedback
- demonstrate knowledge of their own abilities in spoken English and develop strategies to address areas of weakness independently
- be able to identify and use appropriate resources successfully to support interaction in general as well as pronunciation and intonation more specifically
- be able to make use of the knowledge and experiences that they acquire during the course in their future studies and/or working life.
The course covers the fundamentals of the English sound system, intonation patterns and transcription. It also provides an introduction to features of spoken discourse. Students practice various kinds of spoken tasks and develop their capacities to maintain their oral skills once the course is over.
Mode of Delivery
Learning activities and teaching methods
Variable teaching and learning methods
Recommended or Required Reading
The set texts or links to electronic sources will be available in Moodle. In addition, students will seek their own material for some of the assignments.
Assessment Methods and Criteria
Assessment will be based on various written and oral assignments.
The course utilises a numerical grading scale (0–5). In the numerical scale zero stands for a fail.
Recommended Optional Programme Components
The course is an independent entity and does not require additional studies carried out at the same time.